Code for Africa (CfAfrica) a people-driven journalism and civic technology initiative, is searching for an experienced Finance Manager to oversee and manage all Finance functions in the organization and work as part of the Staff Team to achieve organizational goals.
CfAfrica operates as an umbrella federation of non-partisan civic data and civic technology experts and organizations. Its members include fully-fledged technology labs, alongside individual data analysts, people with expertise in digital and communications technology and journalists who are all working together to inform and empower citizens. The initiative is driven and co-founded by grassroots citizen organizations, media-focused civic organizations and global donors, and is focused primarily on supporting the access to human rights and free media, building the capacity and responsiveness of government through empowering civil society and the watchdog media with technology capacity.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the organization and will insure the integrity of the financial management system.
This is an immediate opening for a full-time position based in Cape Town, South Africa. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures for a wide-ranging set of activities including financial accounting and reporting, payroll and other procedures
- Work with Staff to maintain process integrity related to deposits, general journal entries, payroll reconciliation spreadsheet, bank reconciliation, database reconciliation, balance sheet reconciliation and reporting reconciliation
- Monitor appropriate use of funds related to budget
- Manage financial control, prepare and analyze budgets, develop financial reports and make recommendations on budget expenditures
- Provide financial inputs for proposal development, project management, Human Resource Management and related financial administration
- Manage all procurement and related financial logistics
- Ensure that all financial reporting is completed on time and submitted to Senior Management and Donors.
- Oversee financial audits of all projects of the organization
- Coordinate payroll and benefits processing for all Staff and Contractors, timekeeping procedures related to timesheets, and timely filing and payment of all payroll related deposits
- Demonstrate capacity to carry out these functions in a timely and professional manner
- Other duties as required
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting, MBA and/or CPA a plus
- At least five (5) years of managerial experience in a finance function
- Proven financial analysis and forecasting ability
- Sound understanding and prior experience of working with an international NGO
- Proven experience and ability to provide support, guidance and training to financial and non-financial colleagues
- Proficiency in accounting software and office practices
- Experience in multi-currency accounting
- Experience of working in cross-cultural and complex environments
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with good prioritization and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal instruction in a teamwork environment
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- High professional standards and ethics
To apply: Applicants should submit a CV, a cover letter, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 20, 2016. (The deadline has been extended.)