The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is seeking a Program Consultant to support ICFJ’s flagship program, the ICFJ Knight Fellowships, a program that instills a culture of news innovation and experimentation in Eastern Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa. We lead a global network of digital entrepreneurs and visionaries that transform the way mobile, data, social media and other interactive technologies are used in journalism. To achieve this, we partner with newsrooms, startups, technology companies, universities and other organizations to help them adopt or invent new technology and strategies. The goal: to seed new ideas and services that deepen coverage, expand news delivery, engage citizens in the editorial process and ultimately improve people’s lives.
Responsibilities: This is a one-year consultancy for work with ICFJ’s Knight Fellows in Africa. The Program Consultant will also work with ICFJ HQ staff, will report to an ICFJ Director in Washington and will support the fellowships program by:
- Tracking key project impacts on journalism, technology, organizations and society; includes use of monitoring tools, such as results frameworks, evaluation plans, online surveys and interview questionnaires and web analytics
- Communicating regularly with Knight Fellows and partners to track progress on work plans, targeted benchmarks, outcomes and lessons learned
- Generating and updating regular reports that synthesize key impacts for internal and external communication
- Providing logistical support to Knight Fellows in Africa
Qualifications: The Program Consultant position requires someone who is:
- Highly organized and systematic, and able to support a complex program with many simultaneous projects and moving parts
- Able to scrutinize detail with a high level of accuracy and ask the right questions to surface the critical information needed to ensure we achieve targeted results and communicate them effectively to key staff, funders and other audiences
- Able to write and communicate well (English)
- Interested in working on a cutting-edge program that focuses heavily on journalism technology and innovation that improves people’s lives
- At least two years of professional experience in media, international development and/or project management
- Bachelor’s degree in media/journalism, international development, management or related field; Master’s degree a plus
- Experience with budgets and finances, and providing logistical support (flights, hotels, etc.)
- Proficiency in at least one major language of the countries in which fellows work is preferred
- Experience with digital management tools, such as Excel, Google Drive, Asana, Salesforce, data visualization and web analytics
Location: The Program Consultant will be based in either Nairobi, Kenya, or Cape Town, South Africa, with periodic travel to Washington, D.C., and to African countries where fellows are active.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, two examples of your writing or multimedia/interactive storytelling and salary requirements here .