Title: Programme Assistant
Start Date: ASAP
Status: Full-time, Employee
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Who We Are:
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest independent open data and civic technology initiative. Our federation of partners in 20+ countries seek to build digital democracies that give citizens timely and unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthens civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
About the Role: Programme Assistant
As the Code for Africa Programme Assistant you will help to support three of our flagship programmes, impactAfrica, innovateAfrica and DataZetu. The position is focused on assisting with programme implementation, coordinating monthly donor reporting and fulfilling all programme administrative needs. You will play a key support role and be given a breadth of responsibility.
You will work with multiple teams across Africa, specifically the South African and Tanzanian teams, while also actively supporting programme grantees scattered throughout many African countries.
Programme Implementation Assistance
- Assist in the day-to-day implementation of the programmes as needed and requested by the programme managers.
- Provide general support to programme fellows, fielding administrative questions to allow the programme managers to focus on project content.
- Assist the programme manager in creating and maintaining programme manuals, document templates and programme resources. The manuals should provide guidance on the context and implementation strategy for the programmes.
- Assist the programme manager in maintaining a document archival system for all grantee projects, consisting of grantee contracts, work plans, budgets, living minutes, associated correspondence / documents, narrative and financial reports, etc.
- Coordinate the monthly reporting process, ensure all parties complete their sections by the specified internal deadlines and all documentation is per donor requirements.
- Ensure donor queries are being answered in a timeous manner by the programme managers and the operations team.
- Ensure programme alignment with administrative requirements in the organisation.
- Draft fellowship contracts and amendments for the aforementioned programmes, following internal processes.
- Train and assist grantees with CfAfrica documentation and programmatic processes, specifically contracts, budgets, work plans, financial reports, slack, etc
- Liaise with grantees concerning document finalisation, invoice completion, tranche and expense payments, etc.
- Review programme invoices and financial reports for the aforementioned programmes. Ensure documentation is completed to the highest of standard prior to sending to the Finance department.
- Create the necessary payment requisitions for programmatic expenses.
- Update the programmatic grant tracker specifically for incubated projects (i.e. africanDrone), tracking grant spending. Perform a monthly reconciliation with the finance department.
- Be the liaison for the Tanzanian team and Secretariat.
- Provide any other necessary support as needed
- Proven programme and/or project assistance experience.
- Experience working within a nonprofit environment, preferably an international nonprofit.
- Understanding of donor funding and reporting.
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable working with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to be flexible and work in a changing, unstructured environment.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Attentive to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise.
- An interest in civic technology and digital and data journalism are a plus
The position is contract based, for an initial 9 months, renewable contingent on donor funding. Application closing date is August 18th.
How to Apply:
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Your CV
- Covering Letter
- Salary Expectations