Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Programme Manager in its Engagement and Communications team based out of Cape Town (South Africa). Remuneration is subject to level of experience.
About The Team
The Engagements and Communications team is responsible for overall CfA communications and engagement strategies, with the broad objectives of amplifying CfA’s standing and presence in our industry, ensuring that CfA experts and projects are top of mind for donors, users, partners and competitors, and amplifying the engagement with CfA projects.
Who You Are
A programme manager capable of working with remote teams, who organises, plans and executes projects and events professionally and within deadlines. You can effectively manage relationships with CfA product managers, both internal and external, and foster and manage a network of external design and development resources. Having a background in digital and data journalism, and in product management, will be an advantage.
What You Will Do
- Develop and manage a brand kit, of visual assets, communications protocols, and company standards.
- Maintain and update the CfA brand / engagement / communications policy guidelines on the CfA wiki to ensure brand coherence and excellence across all CfA communications platforms (Websites, Medium, newsletters, social media, presentations, projects)
- Managing documentation of CfA external creative resources
- Develop and manage a coherent set of engagement strategies for CfA and its partners and affiliates.
- Coordinate engagement strategies for CfA project launches / ongoing operations, including audience identification, influencer mapping, amplification partnerships, social media collateral and publishing schedules.
- Media Indaba Africa and Hacks/Hackers comms and marketing, with emphasis on the building of engagement with CfA.
- Collate and summarize Google Analytics engagement data about CfA’s major projects and interpret its quantitative insights
- Coordinate the CfA marketing/outreach strategy, including monthly thought leader syndicated posts, Medium and IJNet project-specific posts, and other tactical industry interventions (to be predetermined monthly)
- Set targets for newsletters and produce monthly CfA newsletter.
- Manage CfA social media accounts and profiles, with targets for community growth and engagement. This includes liaising with internal CfA influencers to contribute to amplification.
- Update and keep current the CfA and Ancir websites with current projects and events.
What You’ve Got
- A suitable tertiary qualification
- Strong organisational skills
- Project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Analytical skills to solve daily implementation challenges
- Network of newsroom contacts
- Ability to prioritise tasks
- Attention to detail
- Proactive attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Trello and Slack are an advantage
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through this form no later than 22 August 2018.
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries.
CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit.
CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONE network, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.