Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Social Media Manager: Engagement in its Engagement and Communications team based out of Cape Town (South Africa). Remuneration is subject to level of experience.
The position is at junior level, and is full-time.
The successful candidate will be available to start by 1 November 2018 at the latest.
Applications must be in by 6pm, 21 September.
About the Team
The Engagements and Communications team is responsible for overall CfA communications and engagement strategies, with the broad objectives of amplifying CfA’s role and presence in our industry, ensuring that CfA experts and projects are top of mind for donors, users, partners and competitors, and amplifying engagement with CfA projects.
Who you are
You find job ads baffling that say you must be active on social media, because you can’t conceive of a state of being where people aren’t. Just not Twitter and Facebook, obviously. You’re so up to date with research into emerging platforms and evolving social media strategies that you know stuff that doesn’t exist yet. You have a passing interest in the kind of work CfA does (Google it), such as investigative journalism, citizen- and gov-tech, and general technology wonders.
What You Will Do
- Help create a comprehensive marketing and engagement strategy to increase visibility, engagement and amplification of Code for Africa products and editorial launches.
- Experiment with new and alternative ways to grow engagement with CfA products.
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications, and appropriately apply that knowledge.
- Manage select social media platforms (this includes writing, editing, and planning of content).
- Schedule and upload posts on relevant social media platforms.
- Respond to queries and comments on all social media platforms.
- Report on social media activity on a weekly basis, and maintain records of social media analytics.
- Create and manage social media calendars and implement changes, and ensure all content goes live as per the scheduled date.
- Create basic marketing, social media, multimedia and design collateral, and manage the necessary software tools.
What You’ve Got
- A suitable tertiary qualification
- Strong organisational skills
- Project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Analytical skills to solve daily implementation challenges
- Ability to prioritise tasks
- Attention to detail
- Proactive attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Trello and Slack are an advantage
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through this form no later than 21 September 2018.
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries. CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit. CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONE network, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.