Code for Africa (CfA) has immediate vacancies for part-time data journalism trainers to join its already-existing network of Academy trainers and help run training activities in 10 cities in eight African countries including Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda.
About the Role
The trainers will be responsible for running data journalism training for partner newsrooms, universities and as part of local community events like Hacks/Hackers. You will be reviewing current content and practices while creating or localising the material to fit different contexts. Trainers will also be responsible for creating and delivering a training development plan complete with materials, tutorials, instructions, and learning resources such as online modules and guides. You will be collecting information about participants and monitor the impact of the training activities.
What You’ll Do
- Run local data journalism training in newsrooms, universities and at local community events
- Support the Academy Team in developing and implementing training, processes and systems
- Develop schedules to assess training needs
- Conduct journalist/students surveys and interviews
- Consult with other trainers, managers, and leadership
- Track and compile collected data about participants and impacts of the training
- Conceptualise training materials based on available resources
- Communicate training needs and online resources
- Create training strategies, initiatives, and materials
- Test and review available materials
- Instruct participant training and onboarding
- Review participants performance and learning
- Coordinate and monitor enrollment, schedules, costs, and equipment
What You’ve Got
- Data journalism skills, including data research, cleaning, visualization
- Proficiency with DataViz tools such as Google Drive, Google Fusion Tables, Google Advanced Search, Flourish.studio, Datawrapper
- Proficiency in using Google docs, sheets and powerpoint. Working knowledge of management tools like Trello and Slack is highly desirable
- Strong organisational skills and ability to deliver results within deadlines
- Strict adherence to company mission and goals
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with all levels of management and participants
- Ability to multitask, prioritise, and manage time efficiently
- Excellent leadership, team building, and self-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to adopt and maintain a results and people-driven approach
- Good presentation skills
- The ability to work with minimal supervision
Extra Points If…
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in education, data journalism, information technology, or related field
- You have at least 1 year previous experience as a trainer, corporate training specialist, or related position
- You have previous working relationships with universities and media houses
How to Apply:
Fill in this form: https://goo.gl/forms/nQzfF8dgovGF2SK62 by 11 November 2018.
About The Federation:
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries. CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit. CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONEnetwork, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.