Do you want to help turbocharge the next generation of digital innovators? Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Project Manager to join our business development team in either our Nairobi (Kenya) or Cape Town (South Africa) offices.
CfA is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
CfA has labs in five countries and affiliate labs in a further four countries, which incubate projects that range from drones and bots, to sensor networks and cutting-edge satellite image analysis initiatives that tackle everything from climate change and environmental crime, to human rights abuses in war zones.
CfA’s business development (BizDev) team manages our investment/grantmaking initiatives, including the innovateAFRICA.Fund, and offers hands-on advice and support services for CfA partners, helping digital pioneers build their business models and products, while also helping marshal additional resources and support for successful projects.
About the Role
You will support the BizDev Programme Manager by managing a portfolio of funded projects, providing hands-on support to grantees to develop their institutional capacity and systems, while proactively monitoring their adherence to grant deliverables and project impact.
Who You Are
You have experience managing digital / technology projects. You’re passionate about digital innovation, civic technology, and making an impact. You’re comfortable working with diverse teams, across multiple time zones. You are a self-starter who does independent research, takes initiative and goes above and beyond to deliver results. You might already be managing projects in the civic tech or digital media space, which would be a big advantage. You’re looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to advance your skills and career.
What You’ll Do
- Support the Programme Manager in developing and implementing processes and systems for managing a large portfolio of digital projects across the continent.
- Mentor and otherwise assist with the development of institutional operational systems at the nonprofit and for-profit organisations we support, to improve their sustainability.
- Develop resource kits, consisting of Maintain the operational manual and associated document templates and resources ensuring core documents are in order and up to date.
- Maintain proactive lightweight monitoring system to ensure that projects are meeting milestones, and report back when milestones are not met.
- Assist the project teams with budgets and administrative tasks. This will include ensuring expense reports are up-to-date and accurate.
- Assist the Programme Manager and Exco with gathering information and research for report and proposal writing.
- Actively promote CfA’s funded projects by assisting with proposals for global and local conferences and speaking opportunities.
What You’ve Got
- Strong organisational skills and ability to deliver results within deadlines
- Demonstrable project management skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- The ability to adopt and maintain a results and people-driven approach
- Excellent knowledge of proper compositional practices to aid in writing and proofreading
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with English as your primary work language. French and Arabic are optional but highly desirable alongside Kiswahili
- Amazing presentation skills
- Critical thinking skills
- The ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proficient in using Google docs, sheets and powerpoint. Working knowledge of management tools like Trello and Slack is highly desirable
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment distributed across Africa
Extra Points If…
- You’ve already worked in a (successful) incubator or accelerator environment
- You’ve got some real-world experience in a successful civic tech / digital media workplace
- You have 4+ years work experience.
How to Apply:
Complete this application form https://goo.gl/forms/M5Mmwv5B7GIxk42Y2 by 14 January 2019.
About The Federation:
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries. CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit. CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONEnetwork, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.