Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Dataviz and Infographics Designer on a full-time fellowship to join our international data and design team. The candidate is preferably based in Lagos/Abuja (Nigeria), Kampala (Uganda) or Nairobi (Kenya) but also other African cities will be considered.
About the Role
You will be joining CfA’s data team to produce outstanding data visualisations in cooperation with CfA’s network of journalists, researchers, coders and data experts. You will be focussing on our fact-checking platform PesaCheck and help CfA’s teams design static and dynamic infographics, build interactive maps, edit satellite images and improve look and feel of the visual production of the team.
Who You Are
You have experience designing visualizations, charts and maps. You have a deep knowledge of Adobe Illustrator / Adobe Suite. You’re passionate about data journalism, civic/government technology and open data. You are comfortable working with diverse teams. You are a self-starter who does independent research, takes initiative and goes above and beyond to deliver results. You might already be working in the civic/data/tech space, which would be a big advantage. You’re looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to advance your skills and career.
What You’ll Do
- Handle and execute PesaCheck requests for infographics and visualizations to enrich fact-checking stories published on the platform
- Design data visualizations, infographics, maps and other visual devices for CfA’s storytelling and communication
- Work with journalists and developers from across the continent to design and build engaging static and interactive visualisations and tools
- Improve look and feel of CfA’s products, content and brands
- Improve on, share knowledge, and maintain the team’s design guidelines
- Occasionally take part in training and community events as a trainer and help review courseware created to teach data journalism
What You’ve Got
- Strong organisational skills and ability to deliver results within deadlines
- Excellent design eye
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, XD, Sketch, Invision
- Data literacy to produce accurate data visualizations and maps
- Proactive problem-solving attitude
- Perfectionism, attention for small details
- Excellent knowledge of proper compositional practices to aid in writing and proofreading
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with English as your primary work language.
- Critical thinking skills
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Proficient in using Google Drive, Trello and Slack
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment distributed across Africa
Extra Points If
- You’ve got a degree / design certification
- 2+ years work experience
How to Apply:
Fill in this form and select the position you want to apply for by 15 April 2019
About The Federation:
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries. CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit. CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONEnetwork, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.