Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Social Media Manager to work within the Engagement Team in Cape Town, South Africa.
CfA is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
CfA has labs in five countries and affiliate labs in a further four countries, which incubate projects that range from drones and bots, to sensor networks and cutting-edge satellite image analysis initiatives that tackle everything from climate change and environmental crime, to human rights abuses in war zones.
About the Role
The Social Media Manager supports the Engagement Programme Manager by managing, producing and disseminating CfA’s brand collateral across a variety of platforms, including social media, events, and media properties.
The position is at junior level, is full-time, and is based in Cape Town, South Africa.
Who you are
The Social Media Manager is active on social media, and up to date with research into emerging platforms, evolving social media strategies, and the production and promotion of content types relevant to CfA. You’re comfortable working with diverse teams, across multiple time zones. You are a self-starter who does independent research, takes initiative and goes above and beyond to deliver results. You’re looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to advance your skills and career. It would be an advantage if the Social Media Manager is familiar with the areas of investigative journalism, citizen- and gov-tech.
What you’ll do
- Support the Programme Manager in creating a comprehensive marketing and engagement strategy to increase visibility, engagement and amplification of CfA products and editorial launches.
- Experiment with new and alternative ways to grow engagement with CfA products.
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications, and appropriately apply that knowledge.
- Manage select social media platforms (this includes writing, editing, and planning of content).
- Report on social media activity on a weekly basis, and maintain records of social media analytics.
- Create and manage social media calendars and implement changes, and ensure all content goes live as per the scheduled date.
- Create basic marketing, social media, multimedia and design collateral, and manage the necessary software tools.
What you’ve got
- Proven work experience as a Social Media Manager.
- Hands-on experience in content management.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with English as your primary work language.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video) using Canva and Adobe creative suite.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to deliver results within deadlines.
- Analytical and multitasking skills.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in using Google Docs, Sheets and Slides. Working knowledge of management tools
- like Trello and Slack is highly desirable.
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment distributed across Africa.
- Qualification in journalism, marketing and/or public relations.
- You’ve already worked in a (successful) incubator or accelerator environment.
- You’ve got some real-world experience in a successful civic tech / digital media workplace.
How to apply
Complete this application form by 23 August: bit.ly/cfaapplyhere
At Code for Africa, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Code for Africa is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: the Code for Africa tech team does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Code for Africa employees or any other company location. Code for Africa is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.