Positions in: Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa.
Are you an efficiency enthusiast? Join our team as an operations assistant and help drive organisational excellence
Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Operations Assistant to join our Secretariat team.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for providing administrative and operational support to the organisation. They should have excellent organisational and time management skills, the ability to multitask and prioritise tasks, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
CfA is a 12-year-old pan-African network of digital democracy and journalism technology labs, registered as a public benefit non-profit organisation that has full-time staff in 22 African and European countries. The headquarters are in South Africa, with subsidiary non-profits in Kenya and Nigeria. The successful candidates will join the Secretariat team – a small, agile team that supports the organisation’s operations across the continent.
The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team that works across a variety of programmes and projects.
Required: minimum requirements include:
- At least 2 – 3 years of experience in a similar role
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise tasks
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in Google Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides)
- Experience in or familiarity with digital collaboration tools including Slack, Trello, and Airtable.
Preferred: candidates who can demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- Experience working in the technology, non-profit and/or media environments will be advantageous
- Experience working with a multinational & fully remote organisation
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa
- Primary Languages: English
- Preferred languages, but not required: French or any other language spoken widely in your country or across Africa.
About the Role:
The successful candidates will join CfA’s core Secretariat team. The Secretariat team supports the whole overseeing operations, finance and human resources.
In this role, you will assist the Secretariat team in providing procurement, travel logistics and other operational support to the rest of the organisation. This will include assisting with sourcing quotes for purchases, following up with vendors and establishing relationships with them, working closely with our travel agents to ensure smooth and easy travel for staffers, assisting with setting coordinating and setting up events and meetings, and assisting with the onboarding of new joiners onto the organisation’s tech platforms.
As part of a multinational team within a growing organisation, you must be agile and must thrive in a multicultural environment, and must work easily with people from different backgrounds who may speak different languages. You will be a digital native, who instinctively takes initiative, and can juggle several tasks at a time while still being able to prioritise your work.
Responsibilities: Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with the Operations Project Manager and the Deputy COO to provide support for all the organisation’s logistics & operations processes. This includes but is not limited to, making travel arrangements for staff & project partners, procurement of third-party services as well as equipment & tools for staff, and event management.
- Broader organisational support, such as assisting the Operations and HR teams with onboarding new team members onto the organisation’s tech platforms and office spaces.
- Work with the Operations Projects manager to maintain an accurate record of the asset registry & filing system.
- Assist with the maintenance and development of policies relevant to the Operations & Logistics docket.
- Performing other duties specific to the Operations and Logistics function if/when assigned by the Operations project manager and/or Deputy COO.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- Medical insurance cover, underwritten by a remote-first provider to ensure cover wherever you are
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world
How to apply:
Please fill this form by 7th July 2023
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest network of indigenous African civic technology and investigative data journalism laboratories, with over 100 staff in 21 countries, who build digital democracy solutions that are intended to give citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
This includes building infrastructure such as the continent’s largest open data portal, open.AFRICA, and the largest open-source civic software portal, commons.AFRICA, as well as the largest repository of investigative document-based evidence, source.AFRICA, as well as incubating initiatives as diverse as the africanDRONE network that gives citizens their own ‘eyes in the sky’, the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in 12 African countries, and the sensors.AFRICA remote-sensing citizen science initiative to combat air/water pollution.
CfA also incubates the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR), as an association of the continent’s best investigative newsrooms, ranging from large traditional mainstream media to smaller specialist units. ANCIR member newsrooms investigate crooked politicians, organised crime and big business. The iLAB is ANCIR’s in-house digital forensic unit, with teams in East, southern and West Africa. ANCIR uses its resources to strengthen newsrooms’ internal capacity, by providing access to the world’s best whistleblower encryption and investigative semantic analysis technologies, as well as skills development, and seed grants for cross-border collaboration.
At CfA, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace and is an affirmative-action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employment application line, CfA employees or any other CfA contact. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.