Positions in: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, or elsewhere in Africa
Are you a financial mind who wants to help drive change on the continent?
Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Financial Controller (FC) to join our Secretariat team.
The position is based at one of our hubs in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, or South Africa. We’re also open to exceptional applicants from elsewhere in Africa.
Candidates must have demonstrable experience in accounting and financial processes.
CfA is a eleven-year-old pan-African network of digital democracy and journalism technology labs, registered as a public benefit non-profit organisation that has full-time staff in 21 African and European countries. The headquarters are in South Africa. Our Secretariat team supports the entire organisation and all of its programmes, overseeing operations and governance, as well as handling all financial and HR matters.
The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team that works across a variety of programmes and projects.
Required: minimum requirements include:
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting, MBA and/or CPA a plus
- At least five (5) years of managerial experience in a finance function
- Proven financial analysis and financial reporting ability
- Sound understanding and prior experience of working within an international NGO
- Proven experience and ability to provide support, guidance and training to financial and non-financial colleagues
- Proficiency in accounting software and office practices
- Experience in multi-currency accounting
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with good prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal instruction in a teamwork environment
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- High professional standards and ethics
Preferred: candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- 5 – 10 years of managerial experience in a finance function
- Experience of working in cross-cultural and complex environments
- Experience working in a digital-first environment (i.e. proficiency Google Suit, Xero, Slack and other digital platforms)
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. Exceptional candidates from elsewhere in Africa will be considered.
- Languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Arabic, French, KiSwahili or any other major language spoken in Africa.
About the Role:
The successful candidates will join CfA’s small core management team in the Secretariat that is responsible for all financial and payroll systems that support our 100+ full-time staff and multi-million dollar project portfolio to achieve their best potential.
As the Finance Controller, you will report directly to the Deputy CFO. You will be responsible for implementing CfA’s financial policies and financial systems, ensuring processes and procedures run smoothly, and that your team diligently manages the organisation’s resources. You will also be primarily responsible for drafting donor financial forecasts and reports, and will assist the Deputy CFO with the drafting of monthly management financial reports.
Responsibilities: Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Assist the preparation and timely issuance of timely and clear budgets, financial forecasts, monthly/quarterly statements, partner/donor financial reports and annual audits.
- Monitor and track the progress of project activity deliverables to budgets.
- Advise the Finance team with insights/recommendations on potential changes to improve operational efficiencies.
- Oversee working capital and cash flow management, including reporting cash forecasts.
- Assess and manage any third-party partners/vendors to which accounting or other finance functions have been outsourced.
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Assess and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Mentor the existing finance team as well as oversee and manage their overall performance
- Proactively drive fiscal literacy amongst CfA managers, to improve institutional management of financial systems and resources.
- Proactively manage vendor and partner/donor relationships and expectations, with clear communication and robust records.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- Medical insurance cover, underwritten by a remote-first provider to ensure cover wherever you are
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How to apply:
Please fill in this form by 01 December 2023
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest network of indigenous African civic technology and investigative data journalism laboratories, with over 100 staff in 21 countries, who build digital democracy solutions that are intended to give citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
This includes building infrastructure such as the continent’s largest open data portal, open.AFRICA, and largest open source civic software portal, commons.AFRICA, as well as the largest repository of investigative document-based evidence, source.AFRICA, as well as incubating initiatives as diverse as the africanDRONE network that gives citizens their own ‘eyes in the sky’, the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in 12 African countries, and the sensors.AFRICA remote-sensing citizen science initiative to combat air/water pollution.
CfA also incubates the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR), as an association of the continent’s best investigative newsrooms, ranging from large traditional mainstream media to smaller specialist units. ANCIR member newsrooms investigate crooked politicians, organised crime and big business. The iLAB is ANCIR’s in-house digital forensic unit, with teams in east, south and west Africa. ANCIR uses its resources to strengthen newsrooms’ own internal capacity, by providing access to the world’s best whistleblower encryption and investigative semantic analysis technologies, as well as skills development, and seed grants for cross-border collaboration.
At CfA, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employment application line, CfA employees or any other CfA contact. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.