Positions in: Anywhere in Africa
Can you transform ideas into vibrant, visually striking illustrations?
Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Illustrator, based anywhere in Africa, to join our Engagement team.
CfA’s Engagement team is responsible for managing CfA’s audience, by managing our platforms, communications and brand. The team actively works to grow CfA’s reputation and amplify our thought leadership and accomplishments through compelling multimedia storytelling.
The chosen candidate will play a pivotal role in driving CfA’s artistic vision, transforming ideas into engaging illustrations and digital art, and bringing our digital and print projects to life. You will craft compelling illustrations that bring our projects to life. This will include illustrations for our investigative reports, fact-checking products and other projects, such a anti-harassment tools and data-driven dashboards
Your application will be judged based on your creative talent and technical expertise in illustration. We are open to candidates from all industries.
The successful candidate will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team, using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners. If successful, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, spotlighting misinformation, award winning investigations and public health threats.
Required: minimum requirements include:
- Proven experience working in a similar role or field, preferably for at least 3 years
- A compelling portfolio showcasing your proficiency in various illustration techniques and styles, such as minimalism, vintage style, surrealism, and more.
- Mastery in industry-standard illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and other relevant tools.
- Strong understanding of colour theory, composition, and visual storytelling to convey ideas effectively through visuals.
- Ability to conceptualise, brainstorm and translate abstract ideas into compelling visual narratives and illustrations.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams, including writers and designers, to seamlessly integrate illustrations into larger creative projects.
- Familiarity with the technical aspects of print production, such as colour modes, resolution, and file formats, ensuring high-quality output for print materials.
Preferred: candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- You should possess a proven ability to create engaging narratives across various platforms.
- You should have the ability to accurately and consistently complete work on schedule and with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in storyboard creation for animations, comics and multimedia projects.
- You’re experienced with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, Trello and Airtable.
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Anywhere in Africa
- Primary languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Amharic, Arabic, Hausa, French, Kiswahili or any other major language spoken in Africa
About the Role:
The successful candidate will join us on CfA’s Engagement team. The team is responsible for telling CfA’s story, and keeping it accessible and engaging. We amplify the work of our experts and external project partners across Africa to drive a more open, connected and technologically empowered continent.
Your core responsibility will be to create illustrations for content developed by the various CfA teams. This will include full-page report covers, iconography, website illustrations, elements for printed materials, etc. You will transform conceptual ideas and narratives into striking, easy-to-understand assets that will engage and inspire our audiences.
While you will primarily rely on digital tools to create illustrations, you will also be encouraged to include traditional mediums where appropriate.
You will stay at the cutting edge of your field, curating benchmarks and keeping ahead of trends in digital storytelling to ensure that CfA stands apart.You will collaborate closely with the design team to craft captivating visuals, partner with copywriters to weave compelling narratives, and align with social media strategists to optimise platform performance.
Responsibilities: Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Creating a distinctive and world-class visual style to position CfA as a leader among its global peers.
- Elevating CfA and partner content by infusing it with unique illustrations, seamlessly integrating them into social media promotions and campaigns.
- Producing illustrations for report covers, blog posts, website banners and social media.
- Contributing illustration and design assets for social media videos.
- Enforcing a consistent, high visual standard across CfA communication platforms.
- Gathering key messaging points for each project and ensuring that all illustration concepts convey the intended information.
- You’ve worked with globally recognised brands or projects, or are able to create world class illustrations (such as Google, Vox.com, The Economist, and Rest of the world)
- Assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of coherent brand guidelines for CfA platforms, including social media.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- Medical insurance cover, underwritten by a remote-first provider to ensure cover wherever you are.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How to apply:
Please fill in this form: Link | 05 January 2024
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest network of indigenous African civic technology and investigative data journalism laboratories, with over 100 staff in 21 countries, who build digital democracy solutions that are intended to give citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
This includes building infrastructure such as the continent’s largest open data portal, open.AFRICA, and largest open source civic software portal, commons.AFRICA, as well as the largest repository of investigative document-based evidence, source.AFRICA, as well as incubating initiatives as diverse as the africanDRONE network that gives citizens their own ‘eyes in the sky’, the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in 12 African countries, and the sensors.AFRICA remote-sensing citizen science initiative to combat air/water pollution.
CfA also incubates the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR), as an association of the continent’s best investigative newsrooms, ranging from large traditional mainstream media to smaller specialist units. ANCIR member newsrooms investigate crooked politicians, organised crime and big business. The iLAB is ANCIR’s in-house digital forensic unit, with teams in east, south and west Africa. ANCIR uses its resources to strengthen newsrooms’ own internal capacity, by providing access to the world’s best whistleblower encryption and investigative semantic analysis technologies, as well as skills development, and seed grants for cross-border collaboration.
At CfA, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employment application line, CfA employees or any other CfA contact. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.