Positions in: Anywhere in Africa
Use your storytelling skills to guide video teams to create content that champion digital democracy across Africa.
Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Video Producer to join our Engagement team.
CfA’s Engagement team is responsible for managing CfA’s audience, by managing our platforms, communications and brand. The team actively works to grow CfA’s reputation and amplify our thought leadership and accomplishments through compelling multimedia storytelling.
The successful candidate will help CfA see video projects through from concept development to post-production and delivery.
Your application will be judged based on your portfolio of work. This portfolio should demonstrate technical abilities in one or more of the following: storyboarding, scripting, shooting, editing, graphic design, and content packaging. Candidates can hail from the media, advertising, or any other creative industry.
The successful candidate will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team, using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners. If successful, you will work on projects spotlighting misinformation, award winning investigations and much more.
Required: minimum requirements include:
- A minimum of three years experience in a similar or related role.
- A robust portfolio/showreel that showcases video skills such as motion graphics, editing, shooting, and scripting and storyboarding
- Proven experience serving as the central liaison, ensuring clear communication, addressing feedback, managing expectations, and guaranteeing overall team satisfaction throughout the project lifecycle.
- Proficient in managing video content/production throughout its life-cycle, from inception and storyboarding to shooting to editing and packaging.
- Excellent communication and project management skills, with the ability to collaborate with a diverse team.
- A creative mindset, with the ability to shape your role and make valuable contributions.
- Proficient in managing and leading a team of video producers, editors, and other production staff.
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, including AfterEffects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Audition.
Preferred: candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- You have a knack for telling immersive video stories across different platforms, customised to the specific audience while remaining true to the core narrative..
- You’ve created compelling short-form videos for TikTok and Instagram Reels, optimising content, analysing metrics, and fostering real-time engagement in live events.
- Capable of developing and executing high quality livestreaming strategies, while staying up-to-date with industry trends and overseeing end-to-end production for live events.
- You’re experienced with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, Trello and Airtable.
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Anywhere in Africa
- Primary languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Amharic, Arabic, Hausa, French, Kiswahili or any other major language spoken in Africa
About the Role:
The successful candidate will join us on CfA’s Engagement team. The team is responsible for telling CfA’s story, and keeping it accessible and engaging. We amplify the work of our experts and external project partners across Africa to drive a more open, connected and technologically empowered continent.
This primary role will be to oversee the entire video content lifecycle, from pre-production (conceptualising, storyboarding, scripting) to production (filming, graphics, motion graphics) and post-production (editing, grading, packaging). It requires exceptional project management skills to handle multiple projects, coordinate diverse teams, and meet deadlines.
As the final quality control, you will ensure video content is polished, trend-aware and suitable for our various platforms. You will stay abreast of emerging video trends and platforms.
As the Video Producer, you’ll manage the video team and work alongside the rest of the engagement team to ensure the creation of cohesive content and messaging. You will occasionally collaborate with the Data Designer, Designers, Illustrator and UX Designer in CfA’s StoryLab team.
Responsibilities: Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Serving as the main point of contact for all incoming video requests.
- Creating actionable project plans for video initiatives, in collaboration with the graphics team.
- Overseeing pre-production tasks, including concept development, scriptwriting, storyboarding, location scouting, and talent selection.
- Managing post-production tasks, encompassing video editing, colour correction, sound design, graphics, and optimising video content for diverse platforms and distribution channels, such as social media, websites, and YouTube.
- Collaborating with the engagement and design teams to ensure videos effectively convey our brand message.
- Monitoring video performance and analytics to continuously improve and optimise video content.
- Contribute designs and animations for social media videos (like these examples from Vox videos, AJ+videos and Johnny Harris.)
- Maintaining an organised video library and ensuring content is appropriately tagged and archived.
- Maintaining a reference list/database of competitors and benchmarks of quality.
- Staying up to date with the latest video technologies and capabilities, ensuring the best tools are used to create video content.
- Developing a distinctive and world-class visual style to put CfA ahead of our peers.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- Medical insurance cover, underwritten by a remote-first provider to ensure cover wherever you are.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How to apply:
Please fill in this form by 05 January 2024
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest network of indigenous African civic technology and investigative data journalism laboratories, with over 100 staff in 21 countries, who build digital democracy solutions that are intended to give citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
This includes building infrastructure such as the continent’s largest open data portal, open.AFRICA, and largest open source civic software portal, commons.AFRICA, as well as the largest repository of investigative document-based evidence, source.AFRICA, as well as incubating initiatives as diverse as the africanDRONE network that gives citizens their own ‘eyes in the sky’, the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in 12 African countries, and the sensors.AFRICA remote-sensing citizen science initiative to combat air/water pollution.
CfA also incubates the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR), as an association of the continent’s best investigative newsrooms, ranging from large traditional mainstream media to smaller specialist units. ANCIR member newsrooms investigate crooked politicians, organised crime and big business. The iLAB is ANCIR’s in-house digital forensic unit, with teams in east, south and west Africa. ANCIR uses its resources to strengthen newsrooms’ own internal capacity, by providing access to the world’s best whistleblower encryption and investigative semantic analysis technologies, as well as skills development, and seed grants for cross-border collaboration.
At CfA, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employment application line, CfA employees or any other CfA contact. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.