Title: Logistics Coordinator (Program Assistant)
Start Date: May 2, 2017
Status: Full-time, Employee
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Knowledge and Engagement Lead, Code for Africa
Who We Are:
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest independent open data and civic technology initiative. Our federation of partners in 20+ countries seek to build digital democracies that give citizens timely and unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthens civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
About the Role:
Code for Africa has an immediate vacancy for a Logistics Coordinator and Program Assistant. This is an ideal position for a highly organized individual with great time management skills. You will work directly with the Code for Africa Knowledge and Engagement Program Lead, providing cross-functional logistical and administrative support.
As Logistics Coordinator, you serve as the support function for our Knowledge and Engagement Programs. This involves:
- Handling all program logistics with accuracy and attention to detail to ensure seamless experience for participants and trainers, including: pre-onsite planning calls, hand-outs and materials, audio-visual requirements, and post-onsite follow-up:
- Coordinating all logistical aspects of the Knowledge and Engagement programs, including travel, accommodations, communications with participating teams, etc.
- Event communications – including event marketing, digital engagement across various platforms and channels
- Communicates with vendors, suppliers to obtain pricing, availability and scheduling
- Prepares necessary quotes and documentation as per Code for Africa’s regulations
- Provide field team support for trainings & events team and on-site coordination during program sessions, including: collaborating with workshop leaders, and coordinating all session logistics
- Create, collect and follow-up on logistic needs and tools, manuals and other documentation
- Manage the Program’s event team calendar, travel coordination and expense reporting
- Ability to take appropriate measures and decisions, to get events scheduled and organized
You will serve as a liaison to departments across Code for Africa, including Finances, Operations and Knowledge and Engagement Programs. This involves:
- Independently handle and work on all delegated administrative tasks assigned
- Helping ensure timely approval and payment of invoices and reimbursement of expense claims reports
- Ensure program alignment with administrative requirements of Code for Africa
- Tracking and coordination of assigned actions
- Follow up and track the program budget including alerting the Program Lead on any foreseen deviations , gather information from implementation of the budget to assist in the preparation of future budgets
- Support coordination of the of the Hacks/Hackers communities city chapters
- Support the creation and updating of program manuals / documentation
- Ensuring utmost attention to quality processes in program implementation
- Assist in content creation, and delivery in various Code for Africa channels
- Attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Disciplined work ethic
- All round problem solver
- Superior communications skills
- Excellent organizational Skills
- Strong prioritization skills
- Budget preparation skills / Working with budgets
- Experience in content creation, digital engagement and community building
- Experience in events coordination & production from planning & design to execution experience
- Logistics experience – international experience required but not a must / has worked on or produced events in multiple countries
Good to Have
- Brilliant knowledge of Google suite of online tools , and MS Office
- Ability to work in and add value to a global & multi-cultural team
- Ability to initiate and follow through on assignments with attention to detail
- Time Management training and skills
- Ability to understand basic technical requirements
- Fluent in French (Speaking, reading and writing)
- An interest in civic technology and digital and data journalism
The position is contract based, for an initial 12 months, renewable for further one year periods, with remuneration subject to experience / seniority. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible, but no later than 07 April 2017, on an initial three month probationary contract.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send compelling cases (be as creative as you’d like), with clear showcase of skills and past experience, to email@example.com.
About Code for Africa
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest civic technology and data journalism initiative. It seeks to instill a culture of civic innovation and digital experimentation in newsrooms and other civic watchdogs.
It also incubates investigative and citizen journalism initiatives, using its networks to work with partners in the media, civil society, the private sector and governments. The goal is to seed new ideas and technologies that deepen public accountability, civic transparency and citizen engagement.
It is funded by a basket of international donors, including the Omidyar Network, the World Bank, various regional Open Society Foundations, and a variety of smaller donors. While Code for Africa focuses its work on the continent, it regularly collaborates with like-minded initiatives across Asia, Europe and Latin America. You can join the CfAfrica community here.