Code for Africa is recruiting a full-time front-end & UX Engineer, based at its main civic technology lab in Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will report to Code for Africa’s lead technologist, and will work with the tech support teams to build robust systems / infrastructure to support substantial growth over the next three years.
Code for Africa is an advocate for open source software, and the successful candidate would be required to use guidelines and best practices as part of the development work. Also in keeping with Code for Africa’s values, the engineer will also interact with grantees, partners, and the community.
- Work closely with UI designers, project managers and back-end engineers to implement versatile front-end solutions to tricky web development problems.
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices in order to push the limits of what a browser can do.
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Launch, iterate and make a difference. Provide front-end coding expertise, and be ready to make our products better for our users.
- Collaborate with a geographically distributed team of designers, researchers, developers, and journalists; proactively explore all options.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Applications development experience, working in Unix or related environments.
- Experience with d3.js and/or other data-visualisation libraries
- Experience with a scripting language, such as Python, Ruby, etc.
- Strong sense of web design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience
- Ability to communicate to all levels of users (internal and external), strong problem solving skills, adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership.
How to Apply:
Apply by filling this form – https://goo.gl/forms/QeDga5KWG9b5GhKk2
At Code for Africa, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Code for Africa is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Code for Africa tech team does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Code for Africa employees or any other company location. Code for Africa is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.