Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Software Engineer – Python to join our main civic technology lab in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
About the Role
As a Python Software Engineer, you will be working on projects and build features used by people across the continent and beyond everyday. The work is challenging, fast-paced and always changing. You have strong analytical skills, an unwavering commitment to quality, a collaborative work ethic and cutting edge coding skills. You should live and breathe the fundamentals of agile software development particularly in Python as well as be very comfortable in managing and deploying servers on Amazon Web Services using Docker / Dokku.
The successful candidate will report to Code for Africa’s technology production manager and will work with the tech team to build robust tools to support substantial growth over the next three years. S/he will specifically be responsible for development pertaining the openAFRICA, connectedAFRICA, HuruMap, sourceAFRICA and other platforms and their composite parts. Code for Africa is an advocate for open source software, and the successful candidate would be required to use guidelines and best practices as part of the development work.
Code for Africa is an advocate for open source software, and the successful candidate would be required to use guidelines and best practices as part of the development work. Also in keeping with Code for Africa’s values, the engineer will also interact with grantees, partners, and the community.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with project managers and back-end engineers to implement versatile back-end solutions to software projects within tight deadlines.
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices in order to deploy stable and scalable environments.
- Scrape, clean and analyse datasets
- Actively draft technical documentation for the projects with which you work, doing so with online collaborative tools
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices in order to complete assigned software development tasks
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Collaborate with a geographically distributed team of developers
What You’ve Got
- A Bachelors degree or equivalent degree in the I.T field would be preferred, but not required. Your code portfolio/track-record is as important, if not more, as academic qualifications
- At least three years of overall professional experience using Python; ideally with a minimum of 1+ years of using PostgreSQL
- Ability to translate software requirements to working products and to effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not necessarily have technical backgrounds
- A track record in using git source code management tool; particularly with Github
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritise, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the Code for Africa mission.
How to Apply:
Fill in this form: here by 10 December 2018.
About The Federation:
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of data journalism and civic technology laboratories, with labs in four countries and affiliates in a further six countries. CfA manages the $1m/year innovateAFRICA.fund and $500,000/year impactAFRICA.fund, as well as key digital democracy resources such as the openAFRICA.net data portal and the GotToVote.cc election toolkit. CfA’s labs also incubate a series of trendsetting initiatives, including the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative in East Africa, the continental africanDRONEnetwork, and the African Network of Centres for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) that spearheaded Panama Papers probes across the continent. CfA is an initiative of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.