Code for Africa (CfA) is recruiting a Social Media Producer for the launch team for CivicSignal: a marketing agency for pioneers who are using new technologies for social good.
As the initiative’s social media lead, you’ll be part of an integrated public relations, communications and marketing team at CivicSignal. This team will help partners in the digital democracy and tech-for-good space across Africa amplify their voice, reach new audiences, and change the world for the better.
Your inaugural assignment will be to produce compelling social media that drives audience engagement for the continent’s largest gathering of drones-for-good, the African Drone Forum, scheduled to take place in Rwanda in February 2020.
You will steer CivicSignal’s social media and visual storytelling strategies across multiple channels, planning campaign schedules, designing messaging collateral, implementing and managing campaigns, and monitoring the resulting engagement to ensure maximum impact.
The position is based in Cape Town, and will entail occasional international and domestic travel.
- You can show us the reach and impact of your previous work.
- You are fast, and thrive on finding the perfect post or campaign that sparks a fire.
- You are good at distilling lots of information into short, punchy social media messages.
- You have strong critical thinking skills: our projects are varied, and fast-paced, so you need to quickly understand and learn new things.
- You understand how to craft a distinctive voice for each client or campaign.
- You think visually, are skilled in user experience and are comfortable with fast-paced digital marketing design (social media graphics, image sourcing/selections, social video editing, etc) with a firm grasp of composition, visual hierarchy, color and typography.
- You are experienced at using content creation tools like Adobe Spark, Fotor, Gimp and similar. Competence with Adobe Creative Cloud would be a bonus.
- You are skilled at social media management and analytics tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, Supermetrics and Google Data Studio and similar.
- You have demonstrable understanding of audience development across different platforms, including the nuances unique on each platform for driving audience growth on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and email.
- You have an expert understanding of social and audience targeting, segmentation, social KPIs, retargeting, and other marketing tools and strategies across social and email.
- You will know how to build targeted databases of social media influencers.
- You are comfortable with developing and managing social media campaign schedules, with clear time/market audience strategies.
- You are a strong, proactive communicator, self-driven, and comfortable with setting and managing priorities and deliverables.
- You are detail-oriented, with a good eye for both quality and aesthetics.
- You are a cross-team collaborator, able to effectively work with teams across multiple departments, time zones, and functions.
- Previous experience working on the digital collaboration tools that CfA uses, which include Slack, Trello and Google Drive, would be an advantage.
- A valid passport
- You will own all CivicSignal’s branded social media channels, and will actively manage those of clients or partners, including building out new ones if/when it becomes relevant.
- You will create and/or curate all social content, including text, image, and video.
- You will design and implement platform-specific marketing strategies that align with CivicSignal clients’ overall business goals (e.g., conversions, lead generation, awareness, etc.).
- You will design and implement campaigns of varying scope on social channels (e.g., product launches, rebrands, awareness campaigns, contests, etc.).
- You will lead CivicSignal’s live coverage/streaming from partner events, and will develop photography/video/design briefs to ensure collateral that lends itself to viral media.
- You will measure, test and report on social strategies and campaigns using analytics tools.
- You will own and build out CivicSignal social media content publishing calendars on behalf of clients and partners.
- You will manage editing, approval, and scheduling of all posts for all platforms.
- You will plan and oversee all paid social campaigns, including any partnerships with influencers.
- You will engage with brand followers and fans on social channels.
- You will conduct social media listening and social media monitoring using appropriate tools
- You will proactively stay informed about trends and tools in social media, marketing and advertising to ensure that CivicSignal if able to offer its partners the best impact possible.
- You will create and strengthen partnerships with other brands, social media stakeholders, and influencers in service of CivicSignal’s clientele.
- You will own the CivicSignal’s social media PR crisis policy.
- You will proactively contribute to CivicSignal’s social media policy.
CivicSignal is incubated by the continent’s largest civic technology network, Code for Africa (CfA), with offices in Abuja (Nigeria), Accra (Ghana), Cape Town (South Africa), Dakar (Senegal), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), Lagos (Nigeria), Kampala (Uganda) and Nairobi (Kenya).
CfA’s project portfolio ranges from investigative data journalism in some of Africa’s most influential newsrooms, to teams of forensic data scientists fighting disinformation/misinformation, along with startups such as africanDRONE, EveryDayAfrica, sensorsAFRICA, and Takwimu.
The successful candidate will support efforts across the network, as well as at strategic partners that include World Bank and United Nations initiatives, plus projects underwritten by Google, Facebook, Microsoft and a range of major philanthropies.
Candidates who can start immediately will be at an advantage.
Apply here by October 18: bit.ly/2IGBtwZ
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.