Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Social Media Manager to work with the PesaCheck team based in Nairobi, Kenya.
PesaCheck is incubated by Code for Africa and works to check and verify claims by public figures published on both mainstream and social media. The initiative is supported by the innovateAFRICA fund, the International Budget Partnership and Code for Africa affiliates in Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda.
CfA is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
- Proven work experience as a Social Media Manager.
- Hands-on experience in content management.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with English as your primary work language.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video) using Canva, Adobe creative suite or their equivalents.
- Demonstrable communication skills.
- Proficiency in using Google Docs, Sheets and Slides. Working knowledge of management tools like Trello and Slack is highly desirable.
- Qualification in journalism, marketing and/or public relations.
- Experience doing research and fact-checking work.
- Analytical and multitasking skills.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience working in a fast-paced media environment.
- Real-world experience in a successful startup/digital media workplace.
- Ability to deliver results within deadlines.
About the Role
The Social Media Manager is responsible for managing, producing and disseminating PesaCheck’s content and brand collateral across a variety of platforms, including social media, events, and media properties.
The position is at a junior level, is full-time, and is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Who You Are
The Social Media Manager is active on social media, and up to date with research into emerging platforms, evolving social media strategies, and the production and promotion of content. You’re comfortable working with diverse teams, across multiple countries. You are a self-starter who does independent research, takes initiative and goes above and beyond to deliver results. You’re looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to advance your skills and career. It would be an advantage if the Social Media Manager is familiar with the areas of verification, fact-checking and investigative journalism.
- Support the PesaCheck editorial team in creating a comprehensive marketing and engagement strategy to increase visibility, engagement and amplification of PesaCheck content and tools on a variety of platforms.
- Experiment with new and alternative ways to grow engagement with PesaCheck content.
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications, and appropriately apply that knowledge.
- Manage select social media platforms (this includes writing, editing, and planning of content).
- Report on social media activity on a weekly basis, and maintain records of social media analytics.
- Create and manage social media calendars and implement changes, and ensure all content goes live as per the scheduled date.
- Create basic marketing, social media, multimedia and design collateral, and manage the necessary software tools.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic digital-first workplace, with the opportunity for regular remote work, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- An opportunity to work with a pioneering fact-checking organization that regularly helps the public to make sense of what’s true and what’s not online and that demonstrates real-world applications for media practitioners and consumers in East Africa.
How to Apply:
Please complete this application form by 20 February: http://bit.ly/pesachecksm
Code for Africa (CfA) is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions, and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
This includes building infrastructure like openAFRICA and sourceAFRICA, as well as incubating initiatives as diverse as the africanDRONE network, the PesaCheck fact-checking initiative and the sensors.AFRICA network.
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.