Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time UI/UX Designer with excellent UI/UX experience to join our Data and Design team.
The diverse team comprises journalists, data scientists and technologists who assist CfA’s network of partners to produce stories based on numerical research and statistics, visualizers who create the interactive and static charts and maps and developers who create data-driven interactive content.
The position is full-time and is based in Lagos (Nigeria), Abuja (Nigeria), Nairobi (Kenya), Kampala (Uganda) or Cape Town (South Africa).
The successful candidate will be available to start by no later than 1 May 2020.
About the role:
The ideal candidate is a data designer with solid UI/UX experience, a passion for illustration with a fine sense for aesthetics. Your primary responsibility would be to create graphics and assist with the UI/UX design tasks, build interactive and news apps for social good, but you would also be able to create static charts, maps and satellite visualisations. Additionally, you would use your design skills to help journalists clean and analyse data to enrich their stories. We value clarity, precision and concision in our graphics and are looking for someone who can communicate a story effectively through data graphics.
The successful candidate will report to the design lead and, when required, to the Chief Data Officer.
- Research and refine data on health, gender and development topics
- Cooperate with journalists from many African countries
- Design and build interactive tools and websites, with the integration of charts and maps – for desktop and mobile devices
- Monitor trends in UI/UX design, data journalism and digital cartography, trends and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge
- Create and manage projects timelines and ensure all content goes live as per the scheduled date
- The candidate will have to share a portfolio and/or references to his or her previous projects.
- 2 years of work in UI/UX design and/or web development as a UI/UX designer
- Experience in or familiarity with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, and Trello
- Experience in tools such as Webflow, Datawrapper, Adobe Illustrator, Invision, XD, Mapbox, QGis, Shorthand, OpenRefine and D3JS
To apply: Applicants should submit a CV, a portfolio and a cover letter using this form and select the design role by 25 April 2020.
CfA is registered as an NPO in South Africa and serves as coordinator for the continent’s largest federation of civic technology laboratories that help the media, civil society organisations, and governments digitise information and build tools to inform and empower citizens. CfA currently has active projects in 24 African countries, with affiliate labs, of varying size, capacity and maturity in: Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. You can find more information at: https://codeforafrica.org/
CfA is supported by donors that include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Google NewsLab, Google Jigsaw, the Knight Foundation, Omidyar Networks, Open Society Foundations, the World Bank and a number of smaller philanthropies.
At CfA, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. CfA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: CfA tech team does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, CfA employees or any other company location. CfA is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes